Bishops House Proofsheet

A Photo Gallery By Danny Kaye

Bishops' House is a half-timbered house in the Norton Lees district of the City of Sheffield, England. It was built c. 1500[1] and is located on the southern tip of Meersbrook Park. It is one of the three surviving timber-framed houses in the city

Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House
Bishops House


Bishops House Details

This Gallery Has Been Viewed Times



Caption List:

Photo 1. Meersbrook Park is located approximately 4 kilometres south of Sheffield city centre, on a side road off the main A61 Chesterfield Road. The Meers Brook, which means 'boundary brook' is a tributary of the River Sheaf and in ancient times this, along with the River Sheaf formed the boundary between the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Northumbria and Mercia.

Photo 2. It is known as Bishops' House after the two brothers said to have had it built, John and Geoffrey Blythe, both of whom became Bishops.

Photo 3. The first known resident was William Blythe, a farmer and scythe manufacturer, who was living here in 1627.

Photo 4. Samuel Blyth was the last of the family to live in the house and after he died in 1753 his sons sold the house to William Shore.

Photo 5. The Blyth family subsequently moved to Birmingham. Notable descendants were Benjamin Blyth, Sir Arthur Blyth and Benjamin Blyth II.

Photo 6. The house was sub-divided into two dwellings and let to a tenant farmer and his labourer.

Photo 7. The Corporation (Sheffield City Council) acquired the house in 1886 and various recreation department employees lived in the house until 1974.

Photo 8. It is a Grade II* listed building and has been open as a museum since 1976, following a renovation funded by English Heritage and Sheffield City Council.

Photo 9. The Sheffield Galleries and Museums Trust, managed the building for some years.

Photo 10. In April 2011 management of public opening, on behalf of the buildings' owner Sheffield City Council, was conferred to the Friends of Bishops' House.

Photo 11. The building is open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays between 10am and 4pm. In April 2012 the Friends of Bishops' House began opening the house to schools. The displays in the house are still curated by Museums Sheffield.

Photo 12. The Friends of Bishops' House is a registered Charity and Ltd company, run entirely by volunteers. The house contains exhibitions on life in the 16th and 17th centuries with two rooms decorated in Jacobean Style.