Tasmania has a wealth of historic houses built in the Old Colonial and Victorian styles of the nineteenth century. They range from humble cottages in the cities and towns to magnificent country estates set in extensive gardens. Those shown here are accessible to the public with several open by the National Trust of Australia (Tasmania).
Franklin House in Launceston was built in 1838 by convict labour for Britton Jones, a former convict himself who become a successful businessman. The entry portico with its Grecian Ionic columns is on a classically styled Georgian house.
Clarendon House is set in 7 acres of estate on the South Esk River and is arguably the grandest Old Colonial Georgian house in Tasmania. Clarendon built in 1838 was the centre of a large pastoral enterprise developed by James Cox.
Built in 1840 for Tasmania’s first Anglican Bishop, Runnymede House was sold to become the Bayley family’s Hobart home for over 100 years. A whaling industry family, the house was named after Capt. Charles Bailey’s favourite ship.
Woolmers Estate, near Longford is recognised as an outstanding example of 19th century rural settlement. The original Woolmers house, built in 1819 by Thomas Archer, is behind the 1840s Regency extension designed by architect John Lee Archer.
Woolmers Cottage is quite a substantial house in its own right and has recently been restored. The Woolmers Estate was continuously occupied by the Archer family from 1817-1994 and has been nominated as a World Heritage site.
William Archer moved into Brickendon at Longford in 1829 after living in a cottage in the farm village for 5 years. The property adjoins the Woolmers Estate and is jointly nominated for world heritage. The Georgian house is set in extensive gardens.
Old Colonial Regency styled Highfield House was built in 1832 for the Van Diemen’s Land Company who initiated development of much of northwest Tasmania. Highfield is part of an historic site near Stanley managed by the National Parks Service.
Entally house and garden (1819) at Hadspen were developed by Thomas Reibey on land grants given to his mother. He extended the single storey Georgian homestead in the 1850s maintaining the Georgian style. The site is managed today by Gunns Limited.
Joseph and Enid Lyons built Home Hill, Devonport in 1916 for their family home where they had 12 children. Enid became the first woman to be elected to the House of Representatives (1943) and first woman cabinet minister (1949).
Joseph Lyons was born in 1879 in this humble cottage in Stanley. He served as Premier of Tasmania (1923-1928) before becoming Tasmania’s only Prime Minister (1932-1939). The cottage (1865) is constructed of split weatherboard with a shingle roof.
Mt Kate House was the second house built on Ronny Creek at Cradle Valley and in sight of Cradle Mountain by Major Ronald Smith. Despite its isolation there was still felt the need to define a front yard for the weatherboard cottage.
Franklin Manor, originally built as a private home, has been converted in sympathetic period style to a boutique guest house. Please search my Ozimages collection for more photos of these houses and of Tasmania.