The pictured is a night view of the Bay of Havana taken from the top floor of the Hotel Nacional de Cuba. The sky looks strange with the clouds sailing across the full moon. The flames and smoke from a distant oil refinery add the feeling of mystery and romance to the scene.
Photo 1 of 12
The Havana Cathedral with the two asymmetrical towers is one of the edifices that form Plaza de la Catedral. Its construction was finished in 1787. Inside the church is plain with a marble high altar, large crystal chandelier and some religious works of art.
Photo 4 of 12
Centro Wifredo Lam, dedicated to the famous Cuban surrealist painter, is an art gallery and museum housing a collection of contemporary art. This eighteenth century building, Casa del Obispo Penalver stands on the eastern edge of the Cathedral Square.
Photo 6 of 12
The Hotel Nacional de Cuba, opened in December 1930, overlooks the Malecon and the Bay of Havana. Its past guests were famous stars, politicians, artists and writers. These days that historic landmark is the five stars hotel with the swimming pools, restaurants and bars, cigar shops, gardens and the Cabaret Parisien.
Photo 7 of 12
Merchant Street, Calle de los Mercaderes is lined with the 18th century mansions now the specialist shops, cafes and museums. Casa de Asia museum there has sculptures and paintings from the Far East, Museo de Tabaco boasts a collection of cigars and pipes while the Old Havana Perfume Museum displays related objects and a collection of French and Cuban perfumes. A scale model of the old Havana can also be found there.
Photo 9 of 12
Calle Obispo (Bishop Street) is a busy pedestrian street in Havana Vieja. It connects Parque Central and Plaza de Armas. On both sides are shops, cafes, an old pharmacy dispensing homeopathic medications and cosmetics. The red building is the hotel where Ernest Hemingway lived in the 1930s.
Photo 10 of 12
The Old Square dates back to the sixteenth century. The buildings are restored to show off their various architectural styles from Baroque and Neoclassical to Art Nouveau. Since its beginnings the pictured house was owned by a number of important Havana families
Photo 11 of 12