The Temple of the Count was a temporary home of an eccentric European who claimed to be a nobleman. He lived there sometimes during the 1830s. That typical Maya step pyramid crowned with the temple dates from the mid-seventh century and is considered the oldest one in Palenque.
Photo 1 of 12
The Temple of the Foliated Cross stands on a leafy hill. It is a part of the Group of the Cross built by the sons of King Pakal the Great in 692 AD in honour the Maya god of lightning. The temple's name derives from a decorative panel depicting a corn shaped cross.
Photo 3 of 12
At another side of a small plaza is the pictured Temple of the Sun. It stands on a pyramid and has an intricate roof comb. Inside is a shrine inside with hieroglyphs and a stucco image of the Sun. The Pakal's sons dedicated the temple to the Jaguar God of the Underworld.
Photo 4 of 12
The Temple of the Cross, the biggest of the three in the Group, has a roof comb resembling a cutout block of concrete. Inside are some carvings, hieroglyphs and stucco friezes. A view of the Tabasco Plains from the top is great, but climbing can be a challenge. It seems a design of the steps is such the worshipers would have to go climb in the submissive positions.
Photo 5 of 12
The Royal Palace is the largest complex in Palenque. Its earliest parts come from the King Pakal's era. Since then it had been changed and restored by many successive rulers. Richly decorated the palace was always the residence of the royal families and their courts.
Photo 6 of 12
The Tower is a unique structure of the Palace Complex with three storeys on a limestone platform and staircase in the centre. The late nineteenth-century archaeologists assumed it was an observatory. I'm not clear if that idea survived the methodical works on the Tower and other structures undertaken by Alberto Ruz Lhuillier and his team in the years between 1949 and 1953. The pictured is its current form.
Photo 7 of 12
Set among the ruins of Palenque this Maya Temple of Inscriptions overlooks a broad plaza. Its name is a result of a discovery of a royal tomb by Alberto Ruz Lhuillier in 1952. Ruz worked on the site for more than four years and finally reached the royal crypt with the sarcophagus covered by a superbly carved lid. With that find came a multitude of other precious objects, including a panel of hieroglyphs describing the King Pakal’s family tree.
Photo 8 of 12
Alberto Ruz Lhuillier, a renown Mexican archaeologist, is buried in Palenque and his modest grave stands across the lawn from the Temple of Inscription. The ancient treasures he discovered are on display at the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City.
Photo 10 of 12
The passages, galleries, rooms and courts of the Royal Palace featured many carvings, tablets and stucco objects. The pictured here is an image of King Pakal the Great, the ruler of the Maya capital in the seventh century of this era. This object is now at the local museum.
Photo 11 of 12
The morning mists linger in the jungle beyond the ruins of the Temple of the Skull. This temple-pyramid is the first structure tourists encounter when visiting Palenque. It is named so because of a stucco skull placed near the main entry to the temple.
Photo 12 of 12