A short break in Malta Proofsheet

A Photo Gallery By Peter Shepherd

Malta known as the Republic of Malta is a Southern European island country consisting of an archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. The country covers just over 316 km2 (122 sq mi), with a population of just under 450,000, making it one of the world's smallest and most densely populated countries. Images from Valletta, the Three Cities and Marsaxlokk are the basis of this Gallery including examples of Architecture, History and Lifestyle.

Saint Johns Co-Cathedral, Valetta
Saint Johns Co-Cathedral, Valetta
Saint Johns Co-Cathedral, Valetta
Saint Johns Co-Cathedral, Valetta
Statue of Jesus Christ, Main Square, Valetta
Statue of Jesus Christ, Main Square, Valetta
The Upper Barracka Gardens, Valetta
The Upper Barracka Gardens, Valetta
Upper Barracka Gardens, Valetta
Upper Barracka Gardens, Valetta
Saint Pauls Cathedral and Museum, Madina
Saint Pauls Cathedral and Museum, Madina
 Saint Pauls Church, Rabat, Madina
Saint Pauls Church, Rabat, Madina
The Siege Bell War Memorial, lower Barrakka Gardens,
The Siege Bell War Memorial, lower Barrakka Gardens,
Church of Saint Lawrence, Birgu, Three Cities
Church of Saint Lawrence, Birgu, Three Cities
Victoria Gate, Three Cities
Victoria Gate, Three Cities
Parish Church of Marsaxlokk
Parish Church of Marsaxlokk
The Waterfront in Marsaxlokk Bay, Marsaxlokk
The Waterfront in Marsaxlokk Bay, Marsaxlokk


A short break in Malta Details

This Gallery Has Been Viewed Times



Caption List:

Photo 1. Saint Johns Co-Cathedral, Valetta. Inside the Cathedral taken from the upper galleries what is regarded as one of the best examples of Baroque architecture in Europe is clearly evident. Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. It was built by the Order of St. John between 1572 and 1577, having been commissioned by Grand Master Jean de la Cassière as the Conventual Church of Saint John (Maltese: Knisja Konventwali ta' San Ġwann).

Photo 2. Saint Johns Co-Cathedral, Valetta. Dedicated to John the Baptist and built between 1572 and 1577 and considered to be one of the finest example of Baroque Architecture in Europe Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. It was built by the Order of St. John between 1572 and 1577, and in the 17th century, its interior was redecorated in the Baroque style.

Photo 3. Statue of Jesus Christ, Main Square, Valetta. Christ the King Monument, Floriana. Floriana is an urban area immediately outside Vallettas city. The statue was built to commemorates the International Eucharistic Congress held in Malta in 1913.

Photo 4. The Upper Barracka Gardens, Valetta. The Upper Barrakka Gardens are a public garden in Valletta, Malta and our twinned with the Lower Barrakka Gardens. The gardens are located on the upper tier of St. Peter & Paul Bastion, which was built in the 1560s. The bastion's lower tier contains the Saluting Battery. The garden's terraced arches were built in 1661 by the Italian knight Fra Flaminio Balbiani.

Photo 5. Upper Barracka Gardens, Valetta. The Upper Barrakka Gardens are a public garden in Valletta, Malta. They are twinned with the Lower Barrakka Gardens in the same city, and offers a panoramic view of the Grand Harbour area. The gardens were originally used to offer recreation to the knights of the Italian langue of the Order of Saint John, but were opened to the public following the end of the French occupation of Malta in 1800.

Photo 6. Saint Pauls Cathedral and Museum, Madina. The Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Malta, and since the 19th century this function has been shared with St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta. Dedicated to St. Paul the Apostle. The cathedral was founded in the 12th century, and according to tradition it stands on the site of where Roman governor Publius met St. Paul following his shipwreck on Malta.

Photo 7. Saint Pauls Church, Rabat, Madina. Located in Rabat, Madina. The Collegiate Church of St Paul was completed in 1653 replacing the previous church of 1578. The church is built on part of the site of the Roman city Melite, which included all of Mdina and a large part of present-day Rabat. The present church was built to replace a church which was completed in 1578. The new church was built with funds provided by the noble woman Guzmana Navarra on plans prepared by Francesco Buonamici.

Photo 8. The Siege Bell War Memorial, lower Barrakka Gardens, Valetta. Looking out from the location of the Siege Bell Memorial, the sleeping Unknown soldier. It commemorates the victory of the Allied forces during the Second Siege of Malta from 1940-1943. The site also contains a statue of a sleeping 'unknown' soldier, lying down his feet towards the harbour and emotional words beneath. A must see/hear.

Photo 9. Church of Saint Lawrence, Birgu, Three Cities. The Church of Saint Lawarence, the first conventual church of the Order of Saint John built 1530. When the Order of Saint John first settled in Malta in 1530, all of their langues were based in Birgu, so the Church of Saint Lawrence was used as the Order's first conventual church in Malta. It served this purpose for 41 years from 1530 to 1571 until the Knights were transferred to the new capital city Valletta.

Photo 10. Victoria Gate, Three Cities. Matching RED window blinds with a traditional RED British Telephone Box in the Victoria Gate area. The gate is located between Marina Curtain and St. Barbara Bastion, on the site of the 16th-century Del Monte Gate. Victoria Gate is the only surviving gate within the fortifications of Valletta, since all the other fortified gates were demolished between the 19th and 20th centuries. Today, the only other gate is the City Gate.

Photo 11. Parish Church of Marsaxlokk. The Church of Our Lady of Pompei is a Roman Catholic parish church located in the fishing village of Marsaxlokk in Malta. The parish of Marsaxlokk was established when fishermen started to build houses near the sea coast in order to save time on travelling. Thus at the end of the 19th century it was decided to build a church that would minister to the spiritual needs of the fishermen and their families.

Photo 12. The Waterfront in Marsaxlokk Bay, Marsaxlokk. Maltese Luzzu boats moored on Marsaxlokk Bay renowned for the bright pair of eyes at the front of the boats. A luzzu (Maltese pronunciation: [lutt͡su]) is a traditional fishing boat from the Maltese islands. They are usually painted in bright colours, while the bow has a pair of eyes. Luzzus have existed since ancient times.